New report highlights critical climate and humanitarian crisis in Niger
- Armed conflict and climate change are driving unprecedented levels of poverty, displacement and food insecurity in the Central Sahel, with a 172% increase in humanitarian need since 2016.
- Political decisions dating from the French colonial rule through the early 2000s have marginalized areas of the region both economically and politically.
- Addressing this compound crisis requires tackling immediate humanitarian needs and funding climate adaptation initiatives.
- Total population: 17 million
- People displaced by crisis: 291,000
- Rank in Human Development Index: 188 of 188
- Started work in Niger: 2013